NBA NEWS 26/06/2022
NBA Publishes Names Of Provisionally Shortlisted Applicants For Position Of Justice Of Supreme Court, Calls For Petitions
The Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) has released the names of Applicants shortlisted for the position of Supreme court Justices.
This is pursuant to the letter by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, and Chairman of the Judicial Service Commission, Hon. Dr. Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad CFR, dated 19th January, requesting stakeholders including the NBA to nominate suitable candidates for the said position.
Following the nomination, the Chairman, Judiciary Committee Dr. Babatunde Ajibade, SAN, in a letter dated 13th June, made available to The Lawyer, is requesting for comments or submit petitions as regards the suitability of the candidates. NBA also directed that such comments or petitions to be sent to the designated email – [email protected] on or before 27th June, 2022.
Below read the full press statement.
13th June 2022
RE: APPOINTMENT OF SIX (6) JUSTICES OF THE SUPREME COURT OF NIGERIA
By a letter dated 19th January 2022, the Chief Justice of Nigeria and Chairman, Federal Judicial Service Commission, Hon. Dr. Justice Ibrahim Tanko Muhammad, CFR requested, from critical stakeholders including the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), the nomination of suitable candidates for consideration for appointment as Justices of the Supreme Court of Nigeria to fill six present and potential vacancies at the Supreme Court.
On 7th February 2022, the NBA invited the expression of interest from suitably qualified members from the relevant geo-political zones.
Further to the above, and pursuant to Rule III 4(i) and (iii) of the 2014 Revised National Judicial Council Guidelines and Procedural Rules for the Appointment of Judicial Officers of all Superior Courts of Record in Nigeria, the Chief Justice of Nigeria has by a letter dated 27th May 2022 requested the NBA to comment on the provisional shortlist of the nominated Candidates.
Please find below the provisional shortlist for your comments on their suitability or otherwise.
A. NORTH-CENTRAL GEO-POLITICAL ZONE
1. Hon. Justice Jummai Sankey, JCA
2. Hon. Justice Stephen Jonah Adah, JCA
3. Hon. Justice Sa’idu Tanko Hussain, JCA
4. Hon. Justice Ridwan M. Abdullahi, JCA
5. Hon. Justice Mohammed Baba Idris, JCA
B. NORTH-WEST GEO-POLITICAL ZONE
1. Hon. Justice Ali Abubakar Babandi Gumel, JCA
2. Hon. Justice Tani Yusuf Hassan, JCA
3. Hon. Justice Mohammed Lawal Shuaibu, JCA
4. Hon. Justice Jamilu Y. Tukur. JCA
5. Hon. Justice Balkisu Bello Aliyu, JCA
C. SOUTH-EAST GEO-POLITICAL ZONE
1. Hon. Justice Uzoamaka I. Ndukwe-Anyanwu, JCA
2. Hon. Justice Chidiebere N. Uwa, JCA
3. Hon. Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme, JCA
4. Hon. Justice Theresa N. Orji-Abadua, JCA
5. Hon. Justice Obande F. Ogbuinya, JCA
6. Hon. Justice Uchechukwu Onyemenam, JCA
7. Hon. Justice Onyekachi A. Otisi, JCA
8. Hon. Justice Ugochukwu A. Ogakwu, JCA
9. Hon. Justice Kenneth Ikechukwu Amadi, JCA
D. SOUTH-SOUTH GEO-POLITICAL ZONE
1. Hon. Justice Moore A. Abraham Adumein, JCA
2. Hon. Justice Biobele A. Georgewill, JCA
3. Hon. Justice Frederick O. Oho, JCA
4. Hon. Dr. Justice Abimbola O. Obaseki-Adejumo, JCA
5. Hon. Justice Ebiowei Tobi, JCA
E. SOUTH-WEST GEO-POLITICAL ZONE
1. Hon. Justice Oyebisi F. Omoleye, JCA
2. Hon. Justice Tunde O. Omotoye, JCA
3. Hon. Justice Habeeb A. O. Abiru, JCA
4. Hon. Justice Peter Olabisi Ige, JCA
5. Hon. Justice Joseph Olubunmi Kayode Oyewole, JCA
Members are enjoined to send in their comments and/or reservations not later than Monday, 27th June 2022 to the National Secretariat of the NBA addressed to:
The President Nigerian Bar Association
c/o Grace Igyo, Esq.
Head, Legal Services Department
Nigerian Bar Association
Plot 1101 Cadastral Zone A00
Central Business District
Or send an email to:[email protected]
Dr. Babatunde Ajibade, SAN, FCIArb
Chairman, NBA Judiciary Committe