Litigation Officer at Nigerian Police Service Commission
- Job Type: Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Experience: 7 years
- Location: Lagos
- Job Field: Law / Legal
- Deadline: Aug 17, 2021
Responsibilities / Duties
- Review, draft and vetting of court processes and pleadings served on the bank and those to be filed on behalf of the bank.
- Perform legal research, investigate facts, and examine information about cases involving the Bank.
- Procuring relevant documentation and information required to support the Bank’s processes in litigation. Analyze cases and guide external Solicitors.
- Make recommendations & give advice to Management for matters to be resolved amicably, where applicable as well as advise Branches on proper documentation of evidences.
- Occasionally working with the compliance department to ensure adherence to laws and practices to prevent litigation on the bank.
- Guidance across all areas and geographies to ensure losses arising from litigation are minimized, and legal issues carrying negative reputational consequences are avoided.
- Provide the legal framework for recovery action and/or the realization of the securities by issuing demand letters, appointment and formalization of appointment of Receiver/Managers, Auctioneers at the instance of Classified Assets Management Department, Credit Risk Management Department and Business units.
- Conduct searches on Case files in various Court Registries which outcomes are used to support the Bank’s position in litigations and other tussle for interest.
- Attend court sessions and watch brief on behalf of the Bank. Respond to complaints sent in by External Lawyers on behalf of their clients and convene meetings to resolve issues raised to avoid litigation and mitigate loss by the Bank.
- Maintain the Litigation Schedules and other relevant schedules of the bank. Rendition of monthly reports to the Company Secretary as well as other relevant Units on the pending litigations involving the bank.
- Ensure that reports to relevant stakeholders are prepared and sent out as and when due or when required.
- Attend to garnishee and other injunctive court processes/orders involving the Bank in liaison with Internal Audit, External solicitors and other related parties. Managing the bank’s compliance with court orders including Garnishee Proceedings.
- Respond to enquiries/demands from, and interfaces with, Law Enforcement Agencies with respect to a wide range of the Bank’s activities, including the Nigeria Police, Independent Corrupt Practices Commission, and Economic & Financial Crimes Commission; accompany staff members of the bank to honour official invitations by these bodies and provides external counsel support, including arrangement for bail in deserving cases.
- First Degree in Law and Professional Certificate of Barrister At Law (compulsory)
- 7 years of relevant experience in a reputable law firm Vast experience in civil and criminal litigation & mediation Good understanding of court practices
Training & Technical Skills:
- Proactive, Organized & Coordinated, Efficient & Effective in the use of MS Packages, Analytical, ability to work under pressure with calm disposition.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) Good interpersonal skill
Decision making & Judgment:
- Understanding Of Litigation and law as well as Socio-Cultural difference/influence
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Nigerian Police Service Commission on www.npfmicrofinancebank.com to apply