NBA NEWS 29/01/2024
NBA Calls For Expressions Of Interest To Apply For FCT High Court Judge Appointments
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) invites suitably qualified lawyers to apply for appointments as Judges to the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
APPOINTMENT OF 12 (TWELVE) ADDITIONAL JUDGES FOR THE HIGH COURT OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY (FCT): CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
By a letter dated 18 January 2024 but delivered on 22 January 2024, the Honourable Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory and Chairman, Judicial Service Commission of the FCT has requested the President of the Nigerian Bar Association to nominate suitably qualified persons, to be recommended for appointment to the FCT High Court Bench.
This appointment exercise will consider eligible candidates from the following states of the federation:
Members of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) who are suitably qualified and are interested in applying for appointment to the FCT High Court Bench, and who are from any of the above-listed states, are enjoined to submit Expression of Interest to the National Secretariat of the NBA on or before 7 February 2024. All correspondences should be addressed to:
Nigerian Bar Association
c/o Ayodeji Oni, Esq.
Head, Legal Regulatory and Compliance Department, Nigerian Bar Association
Plot 1101 Cadastral Zone A00
Central Business District
The Expressions of Interest should include the following attached thereto:
1. A copy of the Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae
2. A copy of the Applicant’s Call to Bar Certificate
3. Evidence of payment of Bar Practicing Fees (BPF) as and when due, for the past 10 years
4. Evidence of payment of NBA Branch Dues as and when due, for the past 10 years
5. Evidence of attendance at Conferences of the NBA
6. Evidence of membership of Sections or Fora of the NBA
7. Certified true copies of at least 5 Judgments in contested cases conducted and/or delivered by the Applicant within the 5 years preceding the application.
8. A letter of good standing from the Chairman of the applicant’s Branch confirming that he or she possess the qualities set out in Rule 4(4)(1)(a), (b) and (d) of the National judicial Council Guidelines for the Appointment of Judicial Officers for Superior Courts of Record as reproduced hereunder:
“In all cases:
a) Good character and reputation, diligence and hard work, honesty, integrity and sound knowledge of law and consistent adherence to professional ethics;
As may be applicable:
b) Active successful practice at the Bar, including satisfactory presentation of cases in Court as a Legal Practitioner either in private practice or as a Legal Officer in any Public Service;
d) Credible record of teaching law, legal research in a reputable University and publication of legal works…”
An electronic copy of the Expression of Interest and the accompanying documents should also be uploaded using this link: https://forms.gle/uprTfsdXDhG9KeGS8
Candidates are advised to address a similar expression of interest to the Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory and submit the same to the office of the Judicial Service Commission of the FCT.
For further enquiries/clarifications, please call Ayodeji on the following phone number: 0803 345 2825.
Thank you and do have a great day.
Akorede Habeeb Lawal
National Publicity Secretary