AFCON: Moroccan Court Convicts Senegalese Fans Charged With Hooliganism

A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football fans to prison terms...

A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football fans to prison terms ranging from three to 12 months over hooliganism charges.

The group had been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf, after some Senegalese supporters attempted a pitch invasion while others threw objects onto the field.

Seeking the maximum penalty for some, the prosecution had told the court that the defendants had “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match”.

It said the group “committed acts of violence broadcast live on television,” while the defendants have denied any wrongdoing.

The Senegalese fans have been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf.

Material damage to the stadium was estimated at more than four million Moroccan dirhams ($430,000), the prosecution said.

It also said evidence against the defendants was based on footage from surveillance cameras at the stadium, as well as medical reports documenting injuries among security forces and stadium stewards.

But their lawyer, Naima El Guellaf, told the court the footage did not “contain irrefutable proof showing that any one of them struck or assaulted anyone”.

In late January, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) imposed a series of sanctions, including fines of several hundred thousand dollars, on both Senegalese and Moroccan federations for unsporting behaviour and breaches of fair play.

Guellaf said the defendants should not be “tried twice, since CAF has already sanctioned the Senegalese federation for the supporters’ behaviour”.

But Mustapha Simou, the lawyer for the civil party representing members of the security forces, said CAF’s sanctions did “not exempt the accused from criminal responsibility. On the contrary, they confirm their guilt”.

TLD Newsletter

Get the latest legal news, key cases, top lawyers, and expert analysis for your legal journey.

RELATED ARTICLES

Zuckerberg Grilled Over Underage Users At Social Media Trial

CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Wednesday he regretted Meta’s slow progress in identifying underage users on

Ex-South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol Gets Life Sentence For Insurrection

A South Korean court sentenced ex-president Yoon Suk Yeol to life in prison on Thursday

Kenya To Roll Out HIV Prevention Shots In March

Kenya will roll out a groundbreaking new HIV-prevention drug in March across 15 priority regions,

UK To Begin Issuance Of Electronic Visas To Nigerians

The United Kingdom says all new UK visit visas for Nigerian travellers will be issued

US Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Dies At 84

Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson, one of the nation’s most influential Black

Three South Africans Arraigned Over Alleged Killing Of 22-Year-Old Nigerian E-Hailing Driver

Three South Africans have been charged in court for allegedly killing a 22-year-old Nigerian e-hailing

TLD Newsletter

Get the latest legal news, key cases, top lawyers, and expert analysis for your legal journey.

This Pop-up Is Included in the Theme
Best Choice for Creatives

Purchase Now

TLD Newsletter

Get the latest legal news, key cases, top lawyers, and expert analysis for your legal journey.